Its closer to the holidays and I know we can really pig out, but generally what are the do’s and dont’s to having and maintaining a healthy weight and diet? Especially in this age where we sit around a lot in font of the computer (well at least I do ;p.)
1. Keep to your meal routine. Try to eat at roughly the same times each day, whether this is two or five times a day.
2. Choose reduced fat versions of foods such as dairy products, spreads and salad dressings where you can. Use them sparingly as some can still be high in fat.
3. Walk off the weight. Walk 10,000 steps (about 60-90 minutes of moderate activity) each day. You can use a pedometer to help count the steps. You can break up your walking over the day.
4. Pack a healthy snack. If you snack, choose a healthy option such as fresh fruit or low calorie yoghurt instead of chocolate or crisps.
5. Look at the labels. Be careful about food claims. Check the fat and sugar content on food labels when shopping and preparing food.
6. Caution with your portions. Don’t heap food on your plate (except vegetables). Think twice before having second helpings.
7. Up on your feet. Break up your sitting time. Stand up for ten minutes out of every hour.
8. Think about your drinks. Choose water or sugar-free squashes. Unsweetened fruit juice contains natural sugar so limit it to 1 glass per day (200ml / 1/3 pint). Alcohol is high in calories; try to limit the amount you drink.
9. Focus on your food. Slow down. Don’t eat on the go or while watching TV. Eat at a table if possible.
10. Don’t forget your 5 a day. Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day (400g in total).